"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
James 1:27






Thursday, September 2, 2010

JEWELRY CLASS

I just found out this week that starting Monday, September 6 I will be teaching Jewelry classes for high school students. I will teach one class on Mondays and Saturdays and another class on Wednesdays and Fridays. The kids make beautiful jewelry that they sell in Art Shows when groups are here. Seventy percent of the profit goes to buying supplies, ten percent is tithed, and the kids get to keep twenty percent. They are really talented and make some really cool stuff. They really enjoy this class and it not only gives them a little bit of spare money to buy things with but it provides them with a trade that they know how to do once they leave. I look forward to teaching this class, yet I have lots of work to do because I don't know any Spanish words that have anything to do with jewelry or art 

Saturday I hope to go to Tegucigalpa (the capital) with Rachael and Owen. Rachael has been teaching the art and jewelry classes and she is leaving this weekend. As part of my responsibility of being the teacher I have to go into Teguc and buy supplies that we need. Hopefully this weekend she will be able to show me around the city and stores that sell jewelry materials. This jewelry program originated from a grant from the Danish government and so keeping up with the sales and costs of supplies and all of that information is very important. If you would like to send art supplies for jewelry – pretty beads, beads of any size, yarn, hemp, cross stitching thread, connectors, earring loops, string, wire, etc. – we can put it to use. I hope to continue to teach some jewelry classes even after the school year ends at the first of November.

No comments:

Post a Comment