"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."
James 1:27






Friday, July 2, 2010

Pure Joy

James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

I don't have time to go into much detail, but things have been really difficult this week. If I had to choose a word to describe how I've felt all week it would be...overwhelmed. So far my time here has been hard work with many trials but I feel like this is home. When I have to leave to go into Tegucigalpa or somewhere else, I'm always ready to be back home with the kids. I've enjoyed every single moment of being here. But this week Satan has attacked me in every way possible: mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually and it has taken its toll. I know that this is where I am supposed to be and I knew that it wasn't going to be easy, but I don't feel prepared for what is to come. The Lord has been reminding me that I HAVE been prepared in advance to be here but that the devil has also been preparing to stop what I've been prepared to do.

However, with that being said, the Lord also provides us with an answer about why we have to endure trials. When our faith is tested (as mine is being tested) it develops perseverance. Perseverance: steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. Keep going despite anything else that's going on. Paul said in Philippians 4 that he had learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I'm having a hard time with not only enduring these trials but being content in them. But James goes on to say that in order for me to be mature and complete, perseverance MUST finish its work. I know that I'll never be totally mature or complete while I still live on this earth - which must mean that there will be trials to develop perseverance until the day I die. So as I continue to prepare for what is ahead please pray that I would rely on the Mighty One for my strength and that I would bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Consider it pure joy, my friends, when you face trials of many kinds. Pure joy.

2 comments:

  1. love you leigh cooper, i love those verses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leigh,

    I just found your website. I know, I am a slacker, but I'm encouraged by your perseverance and endurance. Praying that you might find even greater joy and peace in Him as you seek his face daily.

    michael martin
    Gal. 6:9

    ReplyDelete